Portable Dishwasher Models
Here are the Best Dishwasher Models We Recommend
A Portable Dishwasher is a great option for those of you out there who either don't have the SPACE for a built in dishwasher, or the plumbing capacity. Because these units don't need to be permanently installed, they're a great option for those who have space issues.
A PORTABLE dishwasher is exactly what it sounds like. It's a dishwasher on wheels that you attach to your sink (via a hose) when you want to run a load and then wheel it out of the way when not in use.
Types of Portable Dishwashers
There are basically TWO types of portable washers.
- Counter Top: The counter top model is a smaller sized dishwasher that sits on the top of your kitchen counter. It usually can't fit any more than 4-6 place settings for any given load (depending on the model).
However, for many families, this may be enough, or they may simply not have any more kitchen space available. It takes up as much counter-space as a large microwave oven.
- Rolling Unit or Free-Standing: A free-standing or Rolling dishwasher is one that sits on four casters and wheels up to your sink when you need it. You can roll it out of the way or out of the kitchen when not in use.
There are typically two sizes of Roll-A-Way Dishwashers to choose from. The 18" Rolling Unit which typically fits up to 8 place-settings for each load, and the FULL SIZE Rolling Dishwasher that fits up to 12 place-settings.
Many ROLLING dishwasher units come with a butcher block top so they can be used as extra counter top space in any kitchen.
How to Shop for a Portable Dishwasher
There are a number of factors you'll want to consider when shopping for your portable dishwasher. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Dimensions: Take careful measurements when considering a portable -- especially if you're looking at a counter-top model as these can greatly vary in size. You'll also want to be sure that if you choose a FREESTANDING dishwasher, that you have the floor space to roll it to the sink.
- Capacity: As you can imagine, most portables have a limited wash capacity. Counter-top models are from 4-6 place settings and freestanding units can handle up to 12 place settings. But the exact capacity you will need will be up to you to determine based on your family's particular needs.
- Interior Features: Interior features such as a Stainless Steel Wash Tub or Dual Spray Arms can make a huge difference not only in the quality of the wash, but also in the life span of the dishwasher unit itself. The cost will vary greatly as you add more features, but they may be worth considering in the long run.
- Drying Cycle: A drying cycle is a standard feature of most built in units, but only a handful of portables have this feature. However, if it's an important feature to you, you'll want to make certain it's on the model you choose.
- Energy and Water Efficient: The more efficient the unit is with both water and energy, the more cost effective it will be to run overall. Be sure you take this into consideration as you shop.
Take me to Dishwasher Reviews
Take me to Best Dishwashers
Take me FROM Portable Dishwasher to Dishwasher Info Home Page